Friday, August 21, 2009

An AMAZING Event in the history of Me

The day I have been waiting for with major anticipation has finally arrived!!!! Tonight, Corey and our friend Brian took me to Monster Mania Con 13, a horror show/movie convention that was held in Cherry Hill, and featuring none other than my favorite Batman: Adam West. Anyone that knows me knows that I've been in love with Adam West/Batman since I was four or five years old, so this opportunity to meet him, was for me, extremely thrilling. I brought along my Batmobile toy from when I was little, for Adam West to sign, and I even bought a special silver sharpie pen for him to sign it with.

We got to the Crowne Plaza Cherry Hill at about 4:30, a half hour before the doors opened for the convention. We had no idea where to go to pay or where Adam West was going to be, because the signage was non-informative. We asked lots of questions and eventually found our way to the place where I had to wait in line. I was first in line for the second group of people to be let in to the private autograph room. We had to wait maybe 20 minutes before we were let in. During that time I started to get all shaky and worked up, and started crying, because I couldn't believe that I was about to meet ADAM WEST. Corey and Brian spent much time laughing at me. Then we had to wait inside the room, where I could actually see the big man at the table. I got more and more nervous. One of the security guys could see how wacked out I was and asked me why I was so nervous. I explained to him that this is ADAM WEST and I love him and I don't want to make a complete idiot of myself, and it was really funny that I was nervous because my job used to be to interview celebrities, only I never spoke to anyone I actually gave a crap about before. The guy looked at me and said, "So. It's just Adam West. He's not really famous." and then went on to talk about all the people he's securitied for. That did the trick and I calmed right down. Whew! (What did he mean, not actually famous, anyway? Harrumph!)

When it was my turn, I proudly handed Adam West my Batmobile, and he said "Wow, this thing is ancient. Hey guys, look at this, it's a collectible! And she even brought a pen for me to write on it with." (The guys he was referring to was his manager person and the person handling the cash box.) I told Adam West that it was my toy from 1978 and I treasured it. I also told him that it was an honor to meet him and that I've admired him all my life. He looked at me like "ooookay." Then I went on to tell him that Batman has always been part of my life celebrations and that at our wedding, I danced the Batusi in front of everyone, to the Batman theme song, and proceeded to do a little demonstration. He looked right at me and said "I'm sorry to hear that," without even breaking a grin. Droll fellow! Then he had to sign the Batman carrying a bomb picture, and as he was signing it, he said "You know, some days, there's just no place to get rid of a bomb!" That's a totally famous line from the original Batman movie, and there's a follow up to it, but of course I couldn't remember it, and still can't. So I just said "Yeah, I know! That sucks!" like a total doofus, while Adam West looked at me like I had three heads. Then it was time for me to have Corey take my picture with Adam West. I asked Adam West if I could give him a hug and he said, "You certainly may." I hugged BATMAN!!!! I said thank you, we gathered up all my stuff and we were out of there.

Oh my gosh, what a great time. I am so glad that Adam West was as nice as I'd hoped he would be. Now my crush on him is back in full swing :)

Since it was a horror movie convention we wandered around the rest of the place, checking out the vendors and other celebrities that were signing autographs. There were all kinds of cool B-list actors there. Everyone was super friendly and chatty. We talked to Kelly LeBrock (from Weird Science) and some guy from Independence Day. And then I saw John Astin and just had to wait in line for him; he was so adorable. And funny too! For some reason the camera wasn't working right, so John Astin had to make chitchat with me for a minute or two while Corey was getting it figured out. He was a pleasure and I told him so. John Astin said "Just act all casual like you actually know me, so he calms down and gets the camera to work." He still has the Gomez voice, and it was killing me. I so wanted to ask him to say "Ahhhh, Carrida" to me like he used to say to Morticia on the Addams Family. But I figured he probably gets asked that a thousand times a day, so I let it go.

After that we walked around and looked at more vendors, and I came away with some great treasures. The ENTIRE series of Batman on DVD (woo hoo!), a Hot Wheels collection of Bat-vehicles: the Batmobile, Batcycle and Batboat (now all I'm missing is the Batcopter) and some little pins of Batman, Catwoman and such.

All in all, it was totally fun and worthy of every second spent there! I would highly recommend it to anyone who's into cult tv shows and/or horror movies.
John Astin spelled my name right! And he thought my name was great, he said he's always thought Yvonne is one of the prettier names in the world.

OMG!! That's me with Adam West!!

OMG!!! He spelled my name right! He didn't have anything to say about it though.

Me with John Astin. I was laughing, so of course my eyes are closed.

OMG!! Adam West signed my Batmobile!! And thought it was cool!

My new and exciting Batvehicle collection to add to my pile of Batman stuff.


For more info on the actual convention and who all was there, check out http://www.monstermania.net/




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man, I was so mad I couldnt make it. It would have been well worth it! I would have probably been taking more pictures of you though! HA HA HA! I'm so glad you got to do this!

~Amy