Monday, June 1, 2009

My latest project

Over the Memorial Day weekend, I decided I had had it once and for all with the ugly rug in our bedroom that was dirty when we moved here, and only got dirtier over the past six years, despite my many failed efforts to clean it. Light gray rugs and hairy brown animals don't mix well. Quinn, Lily and Monet did their various bits of damage to the rug, and it had two big brown dog shaped stains where Quinn and Lily sleep on the floor. Gross. So while Corey was at work last Monday, I proceeded to move lots of furniture around and tear up carpet. When I pulled up the first section of gray carpet, I discovered an extra-hideous mauve carpet underneath that, with hot pink and light blue fleur de lis / flowers all over it. Lots of duct tape, extra-long nails and staples secured that rug to the floor. What were the people thinking that put that thing in? Why didn't they take it out when the wall-to-wall went in? Yeesh. The hardwood floor is a mess, between the stains and the paint splats, but I would rather look at that any day.

I didn't want to go to the bother of refinishing the floor in our bedroom because there is just too much damn furniture in there to have to move around. Plus, I want to keep one "original" floor that speaks the history of the house, whatever it may be. Mostly it speaks of puppy accidents, and bad paint jobs, from what I can tell. Anyway, I found just exactly the right size and color at Walmart this past weekend. It's dirt colored to hide the stains, and it's big enough to cover most of the floor. I spent this past Saturday moving all the furniture around again, and putting the new carpet down. It looks ever so much better! Now I just have to decide on what color to paint our room. The blue has grown on me over the years, but I really want to go with something lighter and more peppy, especially since my ultimate goal is to turn our bedroom into a boudoir ala Buffett.


There aren't any "before" pictures of the complete original carpet because the camera ran out of memory space. Here's a peek of the remnant sticking out from under the dressers. Along with a good look at the "weathered" wood floor.

Who the heck paints a room without a drop cloth, I ask you? And then walks in wet paint splats, and doesn't bother to wipe it off? Very irritating to those of us who like hardwood floors!

Close up of ugly gray rug.


Eeekk. Who would pick out a rug like this?


All the rug is gone.


Another view of the many varied spots and splotches and stains.


This is where our bed normally is in the bedroom. I don't know what the huge stain in the middle is from, but it can't be good. Good thing the bed covers it up so we don't have to look at it!


What a mess! When Corey and Milo are not around, I'm secretly a slob that throws everything in the living room, new rugs and rug pads, sanding tools and toys included.

Quinn says: "Why did you shove your mattress and boxspring in the hallway and the dining room? They are most in my way."

New rug!




The naked strip of floor by my side of the bed is my ode to the house and all that it has seen before our crazy chaos moved in.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job! When we pulled up our carpet in our living room, we found it too had been used as a drop cloth at one point. WHY?? We purchased the home from the orig. owner / BUILDER! Why would he go through the trouble of putting in hardwood, then using it as a drop cloth only to cover it up w/ carpet??? We'll never know. I had a perfect negative image of a heating vent, he put on the floor to spray paint white! Thanks to hime we had to have ALL the hardwood re done!:\